Recently I wrote about hardware upgrade, but after some tests revealed that CPUs were too hottest, I decided to buy a compatible fan shroud. I had some doubt about effectiveness passive cooling and about fan shroud in particular. But in Internet I didn't find a useful information about fan shroud for Supermicro chassis. Therefore I decided to write this post for explanation of my experience.
- CPU: Intel Xeon x5650 x2
- Chassis: Supermicro CSE-743TQ-865B-SQ
- Heatsink: Supermicro SNK-P0038Р
- Fan shroud: Supermicro MCP-310-48002
tar -c /data/ | pbzip2 -p24 -c > /dev/null
- Without shroud: CPU0 - 85, CPU1 - 95
- With shroud: CPU0 - 70, CPU1 - 70